Now Offering Climate Controlled Storage!
New Climate Controlled Units Available, Open for Reservations
Since we’ve taken over Bird In Hand Self Storage in August, we’ve been working hard to make the improvements that we’ve heard the most. So far here’s all that we’ve accomplished in a few short months:
- Brand new website, with online reservations and account management
- Improved Tenant communications, including email and text
- State of the art video surveillance system, with 24/7 recording
- Remodeled office, complete with a retail center
- New LED in all inside corridors
- New gate system with remote monitoring and hands free access via the Storage Genie mobile app
And now we are excited to announce the availability of indoor Climate Controlled storage!
The guys are here finishing the last of the duct work, so the time is right to announce the availability of these units to existing customers first.
We currently have 10 units that are available for reservation. These range from 5x11, 11x11 and 11x12. All are above our office with large elevator and stair access, including the use of an oversize moving flatbed.
Click below or give us a call to reserve one of these units. We expect to fill them fast.
Reserve one today and pay no transfer or reservation fee. And don’t forget, you can get $50 for any referrals you send, so please share.
You will also receive your 1st month free if you are adding a unit to your account.
Here’s some info to help you decide if one of these units are right for you.
What is Climate Controlled Storage?
Climate controlled storage, sometimes referred to as temperature controlled storage, is a type of storage unit that is specially designed to maintain steady temperatures and humidity levels.
Typically, the temperature will remain stagnant at between 55 degrees and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Our new system also comes with the ability to remotely monitor and adjust temperature, including alerts, so you can rest assured that no hiccups will go unnoticed.
Temperature and humidity are important metrics when it comes to optimizing the climate in a space because they work together to create moisture. More heat and more humidity equals more moisture; meanwhile, more humidity means more heat in the air (and less humidity means less heat in the air). Keeping both temperature and humidity controlled and steady means that moisture can’t form and your items stay protected.
Items That Require Climate Controlled Storage
Pretty much all items in storage will benefit from climate control, but some truly need it. These are the big ones.
- Furniture (anything made of or containing wood, metal, wicker, leather, or upholstery)
- Other items made out of the materials listed above
- Media (DVDs, videos, vinyl records, etc.)
- Clothing, particularly if it’s lace or leather, or if it’s going to be stored in bags
- Important documents
- Musical instruments
- Collectibles (stamps, coins, comic books, etc.)
- Medical supplies and medications
- Makeup and toiletries
- Household appliances
- Sports equipment
- Bicycles with leather seats
Why these items require climate controlled storage becomes more clear once you start to think about how they react with moisture. Wood, for example, can become warped, cracked, or rotted from moisture exposure, while leather can become discolored and is susceptible to mold and mildew. Electronics, on the other hand, can become cracked or rusted, rendering them unusable or dangerous to use later on. And paper items (including photographs) can actually disintegrate, or become otherwise illegible.
When trying to decide if an item should be stored in a climate controlled unit, ask yourself the following questions about it:
- Can it get mold or mildew?
- Can it warp, crack, deteriorate, or become discolored from interactions with moisture?
- Would high heat cause it to expand or contract?
- Is it designed to be stored at a certain temperature (for example, wine or artwork)?
- Is it sensitive to extreme heat or cold?
- Is it rare, sentimental, and/or valuable?
If your answer to any of the above questions is yes, then it is going to be in your best interest to rent a climate controlled storage unit.
Other Reasons to Rent a Climate Controlled Unit
Sometimes the need for a climate controlled storage unit is less about the items that are going to be inside of it and more about other factors. Here are some of the other reasons that you should consider going the climate controlled route.
If you’re going to be storing your things in the unit for a long time. If you intend to store your belongings for several months, a year, or longer, then chances are that the temperature outside is going to vary quite widely in that time. Just because it’s 50 degrees and dry outside in the present doesn’t mean it will be like that later on, so take into consideration what temperature and humidity shifts might occur and, if they’ll be extreme, go for the climate controlled option.
We live in a climate with great fluctuations in temperature and humidity levels, so it’s best to mitigate those factors if you can. Outside elements have a sneaky way of getting inside of your unit, so you will almost definitely be exposing your belongings to moisture unless you do something specific to protect them.
If you are storing collectibles, valuables, antiques, irreplaceable items. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your most precious belongings. Things of monetary or sentimental value, as well as items that are antique, irreplaceable, or part of a collection, are best stored in climate controlled units.
As always, we thank you for being a great client of ours. Please help us be the best in the area by reviewing us on Google.
Thanks and have a great start to the Holiday Season!
October 18, 2019
Facility Upgrades: Remodeled Office, Security, and Gate System
Lastly, we've added a secured deposit box built into the door to replace the old mailbox. We prefer electronic, but use this for off-hours in-person payments.
Here's what else we have planned:
- Adding a Climate Control system to our interior units (201-223) - Fall 2019.
- Repaving of the entire grounds - Spring 2020.
- 10% off your next invoice* for new customer referrals
- $1 First Month** for adding a new unit to your account