What's New at Bird In Hand Self Storage
March 18, 2020
To our valued customers and those in need,
As a precautionary measure while COVID-19 remains a health threat in our communities, effective tomorrow, March 19th, our office will be closed to walk-ins from the public.
For new customers in need of storage or supplies, we will be available via phone and will make appointments to meet you onsite within the recommended guidelines for social distancing. For students and families in need, we are offering 30 days of free storage and waiving our admin fee.
Our office will be closed for in-person rent payments as well. Payments can be made anytime through our website or over the phone. If you must make a rent payment in person, you are welcome to use the secure deposit box at our front office.
Governor Wolf has declared storage as essential, so we are here for your needs. We will be following state and federal guidelines closely regarding non-essential businesses and services as they develop.
Our phone lines, text and email communication channels will remain open. Please note that we are a family business, and there may be delays in responding to your communications as our team attends to personal and family needs. We commit to respond to your phone/text/email communication within the same business day received, or if received during off-hours, on the next business day.
We at Bird In Hand Self Storage are taking this global crisis seriously and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience while we adjust our operations to align with medical and governmental recommendations.
Thank you for your cooperation as we work together as a community to help each other stay healthy.
Sorina, Corinn and Sergio
IMPORTANT – CUSTOMER ACTION REQUIRED
March 17, 2020
RE: Facility Repaving Project
In our continued efforts to improve the facility for the benefit of you our tenants, we will be repaving the grounds of our facility during the following dates:
Monday, April 27th to Thursday, April 30th
We will provide more specific information as the date approaches with regard to the phases of the project and specifics on moving vehicles to accommodate the work and access to storage units.
The scope of work includes:
- Repaving all areas that are currently paved. In 2 or 3 phases
- Infilling the area next to the elevator
- Paving the grassy area outside of the gate
- Striping and numbering all parking spots
This project will require significant coordination and your cooperation, as we will need to move vehicles temporarily while the paving is taking place and limit access to all storage units during this time.
For Storage Unit Only Customers
We anticipate that we will need to limit access to your storage unit at some point during this time, so we ask that you make plans to access you unit in advance if you need to.
For Vehicle Parking Customers Only
If you have a vehicle stored in our outside parking area, we need your help by contacting the office AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS to help us determine your preferred approach to moving your vehicle.
Again, the project is expected to begin on April 27th and be completed by April 30th, at which time you are asked to park your vehicle in its new and improved designated spot.
Here are the options, in order of preference:
- Relocate your vehicle offsite by April 25th – i.e. home or RV campground
- Relocating your vehicle to an area of our facility that is part of another phase of repaving. Based on feasibility and availability. You will need to coordinate with management and/or the paving contractor.
- Towing your vehicle to another area of our facility that is part of another phase of repaving, or somewhere offsite. Based on feasibility and availability. Any costs will be added to your lease.
We are excited about completing this improvement to the property and know you will be too, but it is imperative that you contact us to determine the actions will be taken with your vehicle.
Please email or give us a call as soon as possible at email@example.com (717) 299-7036. Failure to respond to this may result in our taking action on your behalf and pass along any costs that are incurred.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you in advance for your cooperation!
|Bird In Hand Self Storage Newsletter||February 4, 2020|
We are happy to welcome Sorina Boots to the team. Sorina will be handling day-to-day operations and looks forward to helping you with your storage and account needs.
As a business owner/operator herself in the customer service field, Sorina is excited to now be translating her experience to the world of self storage, and responding to your needs to the very best of her capabilities. Thank you in advance, Sorina is looking forward to working with you!
New Office Hours - Effective March 2nd
As we have implemented more and more technology to help handle most business needs online and via phone, we will be changing our in-person office hours to the schedule below. Reducing the number of hours will help us be more efficient and reduce expenses.
Please note that one of our team members can be reached by phone most days and times and facility access will remain 24/7. In addition to online and mail payments, payments can also be made using our secure deposit box at the office.
|Monday||CLOSED - By Appointment Only|
|Tuesday-Friday||11:00AM - 4:00PM - Appointments Available|
|Saturday||12:00PM - 2:00PM - Appointments Available|
|Sunday||CLOSED - By Appointment Only|
We Now Offer eChecks for Payments
You asked and we listened! Say goodbye to writing checks, postage and going to the post office. eCheck or ACH payments allow you to set up one-time and recurring payments that are connected directly to your checking or savings account.
Here are some of the many benefits
- There are no fees! You will also save money on stamps.
- No writing or going to the post office.
- Clearing time from your checking account is much faster. There is no mail and bank tellers in the mix, so the time to clear is 50% or more faster.
- Transaction processing is highly secure, so no need to worry about a check being lost in the mail.
Give us a call or use the following instructions to set it up.
- From our Website or Mobile App, Click Pay Online
- Click the Pay button
- Log in, or click Create Account if you have never used the online portal before
- Click on your unit number under My Account
- For one-time payments
- Click on Make Payment
- Ensure Check is selected
- Enter checking account and payment information
- Click Submit
- For recurring payments
- Click on Automatic Payment
- Check the box to authorize the payment
- Select Enable automatic payment by ACH electronic check on due date
- Complete the bank account information found at the bottom of your check
- Click Submit
We Now Offer Insurance
You are storing your belongings or vehicle with us because they are valuable. Now you can get peace of mind by adding an insurance policy to cover the unknown.
Insurance provided under the storsmart insurance program covers you in case of loss or damage to your stored goods or vehicle from fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, weight of ice, snow or sleet, collapse of building, smoke or water damage (except for flood), mice and vermin, vandalism, malicious mischief, or burglary. For Burglary, there must be visible signs of forced entry and a police report must be filed.
We also cover your goods while in transit to and from the storage facility as a result from fire, collision, or vehicle overturn. Click here for frequently asked questions.
Even if you have storage coverage in your home or renters insurance, there is some great benefits to using the storsmar insurance program, including;
- No deductible - homeowners and renters insurance often have at least a $500 deductible.
- Claims have no effect on your premium. Filing a claim through your home or renters insurance affects your insurance score and in many cases will cause your premium to go up.
Policies start at $9 for $2,000 in coverage. Call 717.299.7036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Please feel free to call or email with any questions.
Thank you for storing with Bird In Hand Self Storage.
November 14, 2019
We Now Offer Climate Controlled Storage, Reserve One Now
Since we’ve taken over Bird In Hand Self Storage in August, we’ve been working hard to make the improvements that we’ve heard the most. So far here’s all that we’ve accomplished in a few short months:
- Brand new website, with online reservations and account management
- Improved Tenant communications, including email and text
- State of the art video surveillance system, with 24/7 recording
- Remodeled office, complete with a retail center
- New LED in all inside corridors
- New gate system with remote monitoring and hands free access via the Storage Genie mobile app
And now we are excited to announce the availability of indoor Climate Controlled storage!
The guys are here finishing the last of the duct work, so the time is right to announce the availability of these units to existing customers first.
We currently have 10 units that are available for reservation. These range from 5x11, 11x11 and 11x12. All are above our office with large elevator and stair access, including the use of an oversize moving flatbed.
Click below or give us a call to reserve one of these units. We expect to fill them fast.
Reserve one today and pay no transfer or reservation fee. And don’t forget, you can get $50 for any referrals you send, so please share.
You will also receive your 1st month free if you are adding a unit to your account.
Here’s some info to help you decide if one of these units are right for you.
What is Climate Controlled Storage?
Climate controlled storage, sometimes referred to as temperature controlled storage, is a type of storage unit that is specially designed to maintain steady temperatures and humidity levels.
Typically, the temperature will remain stagnant at between 55 degrees and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Our new system also comes with the ability to remotely monitor and adjust temperature, including alerts, so you can rest assured that no hiccups will go unnoticed.
Temperature and humidity are important metrics when it comes to optimizing the climate in a space because they work together to create moisture. More heat and more humidity equals more moisture; meanwhile, more humidity means more heat in the air (and less humidity means less heat in the air). Keeping both temperature and humidity controlled and steady means that moisture can’t form and your items stay protected.
Items That Require Climate Controlled Storage
Pretty much all items in storage will benefit from climate control, but some truly need it. These are the big ones.
- Furniture (anything made of or containing wood, metal, wicker, leather, or upholstery)
- Other items made out of the materials listed above
- Media (DVDs, videos, vinyl records, etc.)
- Clothing, particularly if it’s lace or leather, or if it’s going to be stored in bags
- Important documents
- Musical instruments
- Collectibles (stamps, coins, comic books, etc.)
- Medical supplies and medications
- Makeup and toiletries
- Household appliances
- Sports equipment
- Bicycles with leather seats
Why these items require climate controlled storage becomes more clear once you start to think about how they react with moisture. Wood, for example, can become warped, cracked, or rotted from moisture exposure, while leather can become discolored and is susceptible to mold and mildew. Electronics, on the other hand, can become cracked or rusted, rendering them unusable or dangerous to use later on. And paper items (including photographs) can actually disintegrate, or become otherwise illegible.
When trying to decide if an item should be stored in a climate controlled unit, ask yourself the following questions about it:
- Can it get mold or mildew?
- Can it warp, crack, deteriorate, or become discolored from interactions with moisture?
- Would high heat cause it to expand or contract?
- Is it designed to be stored at a certain temperature (for example, wine or artwork)?
- Is it sensitive to extreme heat or cold?
- Is it rare, sentimental, and/or valuable?
If your answer to any of the above questions is yes, then it is going to be in your best interest to rent a climate controlled storage unit.
Other Reasons to Rent a Climate Controlled Unit
Sometimes the need for a climate controlled storage unit is less about the items that are going to be inside of it and more about other factors. Here are some of the other reasons that you should consider going the climate controlled route.
If you’re going to be storing your things in the unit for a long time. If you intend to store your belongings for several months, a year, or longer, then chances are that the temperature outside is going to vary quite widely in that time. Just because it’s 50 degrees and dry outside in the present doesn’t mean it will be like that later on, so take into consideration what temperature and humidity shifts might occur and, if they’ll be extreme, go for the climate controlled option.
We live in a climate with great fluctuations in temperature and humidity levels, so it’s best to mitigate those factors if you can. Outside elements have a sneaky way of getting inside of your unit, so you will almost definitely be exposing your belongings to moisture unless you do something specific to protect them.
If you are storing collectibles, valuables, antiques, irreplaceable items. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your most precious belongings. Things of monetary or sentimental value, as well as items that are antique, irreplaceable, or part of a collection, are best stored in climate controlled units.
As always, we thank you for being a great client of ours. Please help us be the best in the area by reviewing us on Google.
Thanks and have a great start to the Holiday Season!
October 18, 2019
Facility Upgrades: Remodeled Office, Security, and Gate System
Lastly, we've added a secured deposit box built into the door to replace the old mailbox. We prefer electronic, but use this for off-hours in-person payments.
Here's what else we have planned:
- Adding a Climate Control system to our interior units (201-223) - Fall 2019.
- Repaving of the entire grounds - Spring 2020.
- 10% off your next invoice* for new customer referrals
- $1 First Month** for adding a new unit to your account